Interested in more on United Community Banks? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Among Georgia's largest 10 banks, BB&T Financial FSB continues to post the strongest earnings results, with a first-quarter net income of 45.92 million and an ROA of 6.96%.
With $2.7 billion in assets, the thrift is a relatively small subsidiary of BB&T Corp. (BBT) of Winston-Salem, N.C., but contributes very solid profits by focusing on credit card lending, with a subsidiary specializing in issuing retail gift certificates, as well as a wholesale mortgage lending unit.
Interested in more on BB&T? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Strongest Georgia Banks and ThriftsBased on fourth-quarter financial reports, only nine out of 236 Georgia institutions were assigned "recommended" ratings of B-plus or above by Weiss Ratings:
Thorough Bank Failure CoverageThere have been four bank failures in Georgia this year, following 23 closures in 2011, 21 in 2010, and 25 in 2009. Since the current wave of bank and thrift closures began in 2008, Georgia has seen 78 institutions closed by regulators, which is the most for any state, and is trailed by Florida, with 61 failures, Illinois with 50, and California, with 39 institutions shut down since the beginning of 2008. All 423 U.S. bank and thrift closures since the beginning of 2008 are detailed in TheStreet's interactive bank failure map:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV