NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Georgia banks saw significant improvements during the first quarter, with 81% institutions in the Peach Tree State showing profits, up from less than 60% in the fourth quarter.
The improvement was even stronger than the trend seen for Florida banks, although Georgia still leads all states with 28 undercapitalized institutions on TheStreet's first-quarter Bank Watch List, with Florida in second place, with 20 undercapitalized banks.
The largest Georgia bank to fail so far this year was The First State Bank of Stockbridge, which was shuttered by state regulators in January, and sold by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. to Hamilton State Bank of Hoschton, Ga.
Since the Watch List is based solely on capital ratios, we take a different approach on our quarterly coverage of banks in key states, by looking at overall credit quality to identify troubled institutions.
Georgia Banks with Weakest Asset QualityThe following list includes all banks in the state with nonperforming assets comprising more than 15% of total assets as of March 31, according to data supplied by Thomson Reuters Bank Insight:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV