Popular (BPOP) pushed the Banking industry lower today making it today's featured Banking loser. The industry as a whole closed the day up 0.6%. By the end of trading, Popular fell 2 cents (-1.2%) to $1.62 on light volume. Throughout the day, 4.5 million shares of Popular exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 8.4 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $1.60-$1.68 after having opened the day at $1.66 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.64. Other company's within the Banking industry that declined today were: Hampton Roads Bankshares (HMPR), down 49.9%, Princeton National Bancorp (PNBC), down 10.1%, Ameriana Bancorp (ASBI), down 8.4%, and Ohio Legacy Corporation (OLCB), down 8.2%. Popular, Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides a range of retail and commercial banking products and services primarily to institutional and retail customers in Puerto Rico and the Mainland United States. Popular has a market cap of $1.69 billion and is part of the financial sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.1, above the average banking industry P/E ratio of 8.6 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 18% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are three analysts that rate Popular a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and one rates it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Popular as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, increase in net income and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year.
- You can view the full Popular Ratings Report.
- Use our banking section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about BPOP
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV