Occidental Petroleum Corporation (OXY): Today's Featured Energy Winner
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (OXY) pushed the Energy industry higher today making it today's featured energy winner. The industry as a whole closed the day up 1.9%. By the end of trading, Occidental Petroleum Corporation rose $1.87 (2.3%) to $82.89 on average volume. Throughout the day, 3.8 million shares of Occidental Petroleum Corporation exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 4.3 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $82.04-$83.75 after having opened the day at $82.19 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $81.02. Other companies within the Energy industry that increased today were: North American Energy Partners Incorporate (NOA), up 27.9%, New Concept Energy (GBR), up 19.8%, GeoGlobal Resources (GGR), up 14.6%, and Tri-Valley Corporation (TIV), up 13.8%. Occidental Petroleum Corporation engages in the exploration and production of oil and gas properties in the United States and internationally. The company operates in three segments: Oil and Gas; Chemical; and Midstream, Marketing, and Other. Occidental Petroleum Corporation has a market cap of $65.71 billion and is part of the basic materials sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.7, equal to the average energy industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 13.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are 11 analysts that rate Occidental Petroleum Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and five rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Occidental Petroleum Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- You can view the full Occidental Ratings Report.
- Use our energy section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV