Then, something changed. Since the end of the last market turmoil in December of 2011 something strange happened, the VIX sold off, but the TLT did not. The spread between TLT and VIX has widened and widened. Where in every other crisis the spread should have stretched to near 80 and then eased back to 70 or so, the VIX has eased, bonds have not.
While certainly some of this is "Operation Twist" affecting the spread, I think something else important has also changed. Money is flowing out of Europe and into U.S. debt. The big money NEVER moved a chunk of its cash back into the markets (something else that makes this rally so remarkable). Yet, the equity markets have never priced in the major moves that the bond markets are pricing in. To put it simply, TLT is priced like the S&P is in a crash, while S&P options (as measured by VIX) are priced just about at the long-term mean of the market.
Something has to give. Either the bonds have to come in or the VIX needs to explode. The VIX had been on a consistent downtrend throughout the year (and I still think it will be going much lower by year's end).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV