KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa., May 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- CSL Behring today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has accepted for standard review its Biologics License Application (BLA) for a human 4-factor prothrombin complex concentrate (PCC) for the urgent reversal of vitamin K-antagonist therapy (i.e., warfarin) in patients with acute major bleeding. If approved by the FDA, the CSL Behring 4-factor PCC would be the first agent of its kind available in the United States.
"The acceptance by FDA of this 4-factor PCC BLA marks an important step toward addressing the urgent unmet need for a rapid and simple way to reverse the effects of warfarin during bleeding emergencies," said Val Romberg, Senior Vice President, Research and Development at CSL Behring. "This 4-factor PCC has the potential to be a significant new tool in stopping excessive bleeding in patients on warfarin, where fresh frozen plasma is the current standard of care."
The CSL Behring BLA submission is based on results from three prospective Phase III clinical trials that evaluated the safety and efficacy of PCC in patients who required urgent reversal of warfarin therapy. The pivotal, acute major bleeding trial demonstrated that PCC was comparable to plasma at 24 hours in patients who required urgent reversal of warfarin therapy (72.4 percent and 65.4 percent, respectively). Additionally, the co-primary efficacy endpoint analysis showed that the 4-factor PCC was superior in achieving target INR correction within 30 minutes at the end of infusion as compared to plasma (62.2 percent and 9.6 percent, respectively). Four-factor PCC was also superior to plasma in rapidly and safely raising the levels of clotting factors II, VII, IX, X, and anticoagulant Proteins C and S at the same 30 minutes post-treatment time point (p values<0.0001).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV