3. New York Community Bancorp
Shares of New York Community Bancorp (NYB) of Westbury closed at $12.70 Friday, returning 7% year-to-date, following a 30% decline last year. Based on a 25-cent quarterly payout, the shares have a dividend yield of 7.87%.
The shares trade for 2.1 times tangible book value, and for 12 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $1.08. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $1.06.
Please see TheStreet's earnings coverage for a detailed review of New York Community Bancorp's first-quarter results.Despite strong earnings performance and the maintenance of the company's attractive dividend payout for 33 consecutive quarters, New York Community Bank ranks #3 for regulatory risk from the coming stress tests, according to Sterne Agee, with the firm's ranking supported by an estimated 2012 dividend payout ratio -- dividends paid/EPS -- of 93%, for a last-place ranking out of 54 banks; as well as a last-place ranking for a ratio of commercial real estate, construction and development, and mortgage loans of 834% of tangible common equity. New York Community had $43.0 billion in total assets as of March 31, with $17.8 billion -- or 58% of total loans -- in multifamily mortgage loans, which are mainly concentrated among apartment buildings in the New York City, with below-market rents, leading to a very long track record of strong asset quality. Sterne Agee analyst Matthew Kelley rates New York Community Bancorp "Underperform," with a $12 price target, estimating the company will earn $1.04 a share this year and also in 2013. Interested in more on New York Community Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV