Vertex Stock Gaps Down On Today's Open (VRTX)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq:VRTX) were gapping down Tuesday morning with an open price 22.7% lower than Friday's closing price. The stock closed at $64.85 Friday and opened today's trading at $50.14. The average volume for Vertex has been 3.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Vertex has a market cap of $13.69 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. Shares are up 95.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated engages in discovering, developing, manufacturing, and commercializing small molecule drugs for the treatment of serious diseases worldwide. The company has a P/E ratio of 44.7, below the average drugs industry P/E ratio of 47.3 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. TheStreet Ratings rates Vertex as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall. You can view the full Vertex Ratings Report. Get more investment ideas from our investment research center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV