BOSTON ( MainStreet) -- The world's finest bottles of scotch can sell at auction for more than you'd pay in many U.S. cities for a small house.
"A collectible whiskey's value is based on a combination of things -- rarity, desirability and drinkability," says Joseph Hyman, Boston-based whiskey specialist for auction house Bonhams. "Certain distilleries have a higher 'cult following,' so they command higher prices."
|Martin Green, director of whisky for the auction house Bonhams, assesses a bottle of 1955 Glenfiddich that sold for $75,200 at auction this past winter. The bottle is one of just 15 of its kind in existence.|
Bonhams and other auction houses typically hold auctions of super-rare bottles of Scotch whisky a few times a year in New York, London or Hong Kong, garnering close to or more than $100,000 for some of the most valuable offerings.
For instance, Bonhams sold one of just 15 bottles of a 1955 Glenfiddich for $75,200 last winter, while Christie's expects one of only 61 bottles of a 1937 Glenfiddich to fetch as much as $110,000 next month. The most expensive bottle ever sold was apparently a 64-year-old MacCallan that fetched $460,000 in a 2010 Sotheby's (BID) charity auction, although that included a one-of-a-kind decanter.Hyman says people who bid at whiskey auctions range from collectors to investors to Scotch whisky lovers such as himself. "When I buy something, I want to drink it," he says. "But other people are just speculating
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV