By David Germain, AP Movie Writer
LOS ANGELES -- The comic action heroes of Men in Black 3 have taken over the weekend box office from the comic-book superheroes of The Avengers.
According to studio estimates Monday, Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones' latest Men in Black installment debuted with $70 million domestically over the four-day Memorial Day weekend, which proved unusually quiet at theaters for Hollywood overall.
Sony's (SNE) Men in Black 3 took over the No. 1 spot from Walt Disney's (DIS) The Avengers, which had been the top flick for three straight weekends but slipped to second place with $46.9 million domestically.Men in Black 3 added $133.2 million overseas for a worldwide total of $203.2 million. "We took over the world this weekend," said Rory Bruer, Sony's head of distribution. "It's so exciting to see Will and company back in this franchise. I certainly think that most people who've seen the film think it's the best of the franchise." The Avengers raised its domestic total to $523.6 million, making it the No. 4 movie on the all-time domestic revenue chart and only the fourth film to top half a billion dollars. The Avengers will quickly pass the No. 3 film, The Dark Knight at $533.3 million, leaving only Avatar at $760.5 million and Titanic at $658.5 million ahead of it. While it was a good start for Men in Black 3 and another strong hold for The Avengers, Memorial Day weekend was the slowest at theaters in more than a decade. Box-office tracker Hollywood.com estimates that overall domestic receipts for the four days will finish at $190 million, the lowest since Memorial Day weekend in 2001, when revenues totaled $185.3 million. A year ago, Hollywood pulled in a record $276.3 million over Memorial Day weekend, when The Hangover Part II debuted with $103.4 million.
|In this film image released by Sony Pictures, Tommy Lee Jones, right, and Will Smith star are shown in a scene from Men in Black 3.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV