LONDON, May 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
THIS RELEASE IS INTENDED EXCLUSIVELY FOR EUROPEAN MEDIA
Data presented today from the VOYAGER study demonstrate the benefits of aggressive statin therapy with CRESTOR™ (rosuvastatin) in comparison to atorvastatin and simvastatin in high risk patients. VOYAGER is an individual patient data meta-analysis of 32 258 patients from 37 randomised studies, comparing the effects of statin therapy with CRESTOR™ (rosuvastatin) to that of atorvastatin and simvastatin. These data are being presented at the 2012 European Atherosclerosis Society (EAS) Congress in Milan, Italy.
The data suggests that achieving an LDL-C goal of <70 mg/dL or >50% reduction in LDL-C levels in high risk patients requires aggressive statin therapy. As statin dose increased, a higher percentage of patients achieved these goals, which reflect the latest European Atherosclerosis Society (EAS) and European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Guidelines for the Management of Dyslipidaemias. Also, a greater percentage of patients achieved this goal with CRESTOR than with equal or double doses of atorvastatin or simvastatin."The VOYAGER analyses being presented at EAS provide further evidence of the efficacy of CRESTOR in helping high risk patients reach recommended target lipid levels, as compared with atorvastatin and simvastatin ," said Russ Esterline, VP Global Product Development Cardiovascular, AstraZeneca. "CRESTOR consistently and significantly increases HDL-C and helps patients get to target LDL-C goals of less than 70 mg/dL." Other VOYAGER data presented at the EAS congress include:
Impact of increasing statin dose on the ratio of non-HDL-C to HDL-C: results from the VOYAGER individual patient data meta-analysis
- Data shows that increasing statin dose has a favourable impact on non-HDL-C/HDL-C ratio; these results support the use of higher doses of effective statins to reduce this cardiovascular (CV) risk marker
No relationship between changes in atherogenic lipid parameters and CRP with statin use in VOYAGER: Implications for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction
- This analysis found no clinically meaningful relationship between changes in LDL-C and baseline or change in hsCRP with intensive statin treatment, suggesting that any CV benefit associated with hsCRP reduction may reflect statin effects beyond their ability to reduce atherogenic lipid levels
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV