5. Penns Woods Bancorp
Shares of Penns Woods Bancorp (PWOD) of Jersey Shore, Penn., closed at $37.61 Thursday, down 2% year-to-date, following a 2.5% return during 2011.
Based on a quarterly payout of 47 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 5.00%.The company had $793.1 million in total assets as of March 31, with 13 Jersey Shore Savings Bank offices in Lycoming, Clinton, Centre, and Montour Counties, in Pennsylvania. Penns Woods Bancorp has been the strongest earnings performer over the past year among this group of seven A-plus rated banks and thrifts, with returns on average assets ranging from 1.64% and 1.90%. The shares trade for 1.8 times tangible book value, and for 10 times trailing earnings. While the shares have not seen an exciting year-to-date performance, the 5.00% dividend yield is very attractive and well-supported by earnings, and the company's strong and steady performance warrants the premium to book value. Interested in more on Penns Woods Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV