Year-to-date, the Dow is up 1.9%, the S&P 500 has gained 4.8%, and the Nasdaq has advanced nearly 9%. At a low of 12,289 during Wednesday's session, the Dow was within 75 points of going negative for 2012.
For his part, Mahn will be watching Germany's actions next week. Any idea on how to handle the deterioration of Greece's finances can't succeed without the support of German Chancellor Angela Merkel. That's why eurobonds -- which some other members of the European Monetary Union have advocated -- aren't likely to get any traction.
"If Germany no longer wants to participate in bailouts, Germany doesn't need the rest of Europe," Mahn said. "That's the biggest area of concern. I'll be watching German sentiment."
The euro visited close to two-year lows this week, but Street One market technician Dave Chojnacki thinks more downside lies ahead if it becomes more likely that Greece gets the boot or European banks start to see more people pulling out their assets.Stateside, the big news is expected to be the May jobs report next Friday. The current consensus is for nonfarm private payrolls to swell by 172,000, according to Briefing.com, a nice bump up from April's total of 130,000. "To move the market, the jobs number would have to swing wildly on the upside and mildly on downside," said Hennion & Walsh's Mahn. "I think in large part individual investors have been very skeptical of the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV