Another stock that's trading within range of a major breakout trade is biotechnology and drugs player Infinity Pharmaceuticals (INFI), which engages in the discovery and development of medicines for difficult-to-treat diseases. This stock is off to a strong start in 2012, with shares up over 40%.
If you take a look at the chart for Infinity Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this stock has been on a tear for the last four months after it broke out above $6.95 and then $10.18 a share. That first breakout over $6.95 came with huge volume and triggered a gap-fill in this stock back to $10.18 a share. Then the breakout over $10.18 came again with big volume and pushed the stock to a recent high of $13.75 a share. Since hitting that high, shares of Infinity Pharmaceuticals have pulled back below its 50-day moving average to a recent low of $11.76 a share. That said, on Thursday the stock recaptured its 50-dy and now looks poised to trend higher and trigger another breakout trade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV