It's been a pretty lukewarm year so far for Duke Energy (DUK) shareholders. Since the first trading day of January, the $29 billion regulated utility holding company has essentially traded flat, leaving investors turning to dividends for all of their return hopes.
With a 4.6% dividend yield, investors are at least up on the year with DUK's shares when those cash payouts are factored in. But Duke has been paying out the same 25-cent quarterly dividend for eight straight quarters now -- and the company has the wherewithal to hike those payouts right now.Duke provides gas and electric service to customers in a handful of Southern and Midwestern states, in addition to the firm's generation and merchant power assets here in the U.S. and hydroelectric plants in Latin America. For income investors, regulated utilities are the goose that lays the golden egg: their profitability is consistent and recession resistant, and historically they hike dividends frequently. A pending merger with Progress Energy (PGN) stands to make Duke the single biggest regulated utility in the country. While Duke's other businesses add some volatility to earnings, they also add substantially more upside potential. Growth in Brazil has fueled most of its international successes in the past and should continue to make up the biggest part of the division in the future. Despite a capital-intense business that's ramping up leverage to grow, cash coverage is more than sufficient to support a bigger dividend in 2012. Duke shows up on a list of 10 Stocks That Will Let You Retire.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV