NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks closed on a weak note Friday, as investors remained concerned about the mounting eurozone crisis heading into the holiday weekend.
A much stronger than expected final read on consumer sentiment failed to bring out the buyers as the headlines from across the pond were predictably dour, including news that the bailout tab for partially nationalized Spanish institution Bankia will be roughly $24 billion. In addition, Standard & Poor's moved to downgrade Spain's biggest banks amid the threat of a double-dip recession in the country.
Volumes were low with 2.86 billion shares trading on the New York Stock Exchange and only 1.2 billion in play on the Nasdaq.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 76 points, or 0.6%, to close at 12,454, after trading as high as 12,533.The S&P 500 finished lower by 3 points or 0.2% to close at 1318. The Nasdaq dipped nearly 2 points, or 0.1%, to close at 2837.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV