Lehman Brothers Gets a Pass From SEC: Report
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Securities and Exchange Commission will likely not recommend enforcement action against Lehman Brothers or any of its top executives in relation to the firm's spectacular 2008 collapse, according to a report from Bloomberg .
An internal SEC memo reportedly states that the staff has determined that no charges will be filed by the regulator against executives for securities fraud. "The staff has concluded its investigation and determined that charges will likely not be recommended," Bloomberg quotes from the memo.
A spokesman for the SEC declined to comment on the story.
That is not to say that former Lehman leaders are off the hook though. Former Lehman CEO Richard Fuld is currently the subject of three civil lawsuits tied to Lehman's collapse and investigations by two state attorney generals and Congress, according to a report filed with Financial Industry Regulation Authority.--Written by Christopher Westfall in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV