COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (AP) â¿¿ Coeur d'Alene Mines Corp. said Thursday that full production has resumed at one of its Mexican mines, after the workers who had been blocking access to it agreed to return to work.
The silver and gold miner, which is based in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, said Wednesday that workers began blocking access to the Palmarejo Mine in northern Mexico last weekend.
Coeur d'Alene spokeswoman Stefany Bales said the workers were blocking access because of pay concerns. The group's size ranged from between 10 and 80 workers over the course of several days, but it was unclear exactly how many of those people actually worked at the mine, she said.
Management temporarily shut down the mine, which employs about 900 people, in order to ensure safety and negotiate with the workers in question, the company said.Coeur d'Alene said it does not expect the shutdown to have a significant effect on the mine's 2012 production. In 2011, the mine produced 9 million ounces of silver and 125,071 ounces of gold, representing about half of the company's revenue that year, according to Coeur d'Alene's annual report. In late afternoon trading, Coeur d'Alene shares fell 42 cents, or 2.4 percent, to $16.89.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV