One more under-$10 name that's setting up for a breakout play is gold miner New Gold (NGD). This is a gold mining company, engages in the acquisition, exploration, extraction, processing, and reclamation of mineral properties. It primarily explore for gold, silver, and copper deposits. This stock is off to a slow start in 2012, with shares off by around 10.5%.
If you take a look at the chart for New Gold, you'll notice this stock has been downtrending for the past three months, with shares dropping from a high of $12.25 to a recent low of $7.13 a share. During that downtrend, shares of New Gold have consistently made lower highs and lower lows, which is bearish technical price action. That said, the stock has recently started to rebound off that $7.13 low and is now trading within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade.
Traders should now look for long-biased trades in NGD if it can manage to clear some near-term overhead resistance at $8.90 a share, and its 50-day moving average of $9.17 a share with high-volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels on volume that's near or well above its three-month average action of 3,281,690 shares. If we get that move soon, then NGD should easily spike higher back towards its 200-day moving average of $10.87 a share or possibly much higher above $12 a share.To see more hot under-$10 equities, check out the Stocks Under-$10 Setting Up to Explode portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV