SPDR S&P 500 ETF
That all brings us back to the index everyone's wondering about: the S&P 500. The S&P has been hard to read of late, thanks to a major pullback in the last month that's left many investors wondering whether it's time to run for the hills or start accumulating stocks again. The techincals tell part of the story, and the intermarket picture tells the rest.
For starters, the S&P got woefully oversold in May, resulting in the snapback rally we're seeing this week. The fact that stocks are bouncing off of previous support in the high 1270s helps make a case that this is still just a correction, not a crash-in-progress. In the chart above, it's clear that the uptrend is only decelerating for the first time now -- from trend line 1 to trend line 2 -- that's far from being broken altogether.On the intermarket side, a pullback in TLT would support upside in stocks: we'd want to see demand get sapped from treasuries (a flight to quality asset) as investors ramp up their risk tolerance and throw cash back into equities. And a bounce in stocks makes sense with every other asset class story we've looked at. Don't run for the hills just yet - investors are looking at a buying opportunity in SPY. To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV