NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- HP's (HPQ) second-quarter earnings report showed glimmers of hope, but the company still has a long way to go before it gets back to the glory days of Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard.
The Palo Alto, Calif.-based firm reported fiscal second-quarter non-GAAP earnings of 98 cents a share on $30.70 billion in revenue. The no.1 PC maker highlighted the performance of its software business, which grew revenue 22% year-over-year, despite licensing weakness from Autonomy. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 91 cents a share on $29.91 billion in revenue.
Following the weak earnings report from Dell (DELL), expectations for HP were incredibly low. HP, however, surpassed expectations as CEO Meg Whitman tries to turn around the $41 billion tech behemoth. Investors reacted positively to the numbers, sending shares sharply higher this morning.
|HP is still a long way from getting its ship righted|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV