5. Zions Bancorp
Shares of Zions Bancorp (ZION) have dropped nearly 10% over the past month. Year-to-date the stock is still up 14%.
The Salt Lake City, Utah-based bank reported first-quarter net income available to common shareholders of $25.5 million, or 14 cents a share, which came in below expectations.But Zion's earnings routinely have a fair bit of noise , due to one-time items arising out of conversion of debt to preferred stock and the repayment of bailout money. Excluding "the noncash effects of the discount amortization on conversion of subordinated debt and additional accretion (net of expense) on acquired loans ($15.0 million, $0.08 per share), and the accelerated amortization of discount on the $700 million redemption of Troubled Asset Relief Program ("TARP") preferred stock ($19.6 million, $0.11 per share) in the first quarter," Zions said its net operating earnings were $60.1 million or 33 cents a share. Still, analysts remain concerned about future earnings power from the company. "The credit part of the ZION story remains one with good momentum. The tougher part is on revenue generation," Sandler O'Neill analysts wrote in a report following first quarter results. "The lending recovery ZION is experiencing is still pretty muted. In fact, line utilization is about as low as it has ever been. This contrasts with the substantial traction many other large regionals have gained in the last couple of quarters."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV