PITTSBURGH, May 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- GNC Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: GNC), the nation's largest specialty retailer of health, wellness and sports nutrition products, today announced the launch of Transformation Diaries, a custom web series in partnership with Discovery Fit & Health that follows four women working to achieve their personal "live well" goals at discoveryhealth.com/transformation. Transformation Diaries will take viewers inside each woman's unique journey as they break down personal barriers and transform their bodies, mindsets and lives. JJ Virgin, one of the nation's foremost fitness and nutrition experts, serves as the women's mentor and guide, providing tailored transformation regimens and tips and encouragement along the way.
" Transformation Diaries brings to life GNC's mission of helping people live well every day by providing products and information that have a positive influence on their lifestyles," said Jeff Hennion, EVP - Chief Marketing Officer & e-Commerce at GNC. "These four women have unique histories and are pursuing widely different goals, but their journeys share a spirit and tenacity that will resonate with anyone who has fought to make a change in their lives."
"Discovery Communications delivers the most compelling real-world stories to viewers across platforms, and we are excited to partner with GNC for Transformation Diaries," added Guhan Selvaretnam, Senior Vice President of Digital Media, Discovery Communications. "Discovery Fit & Health's website is a respected destination and resource for health, fitness and wellness advice, and we look forward to welcoming and inspiring audiences with these women's stories."In addition to their personalized webisodes, Transformation Diaries will chronicle each woman's journey through first-person blog and vlog posts, providing online audiences with a monthly behind-the-scenes look at their struggles and accomplishments. The participant plans, which include exercise, nutrition and supplement regimens, will be available online for viewers to follow, as well. The four women whose transformations will be chronicled include:
- Malia, age 45, from Ft. Washington, MD : A lifelong athlete, Malia had run marathons and climbed mountains before she was seriously injured in a car accident in 2010. After a nine-month physical recovery, Malia is ready to regain her emotional drive. Today, her sights are set on climbing Mt. Whitney — a goal that eluded her before her accident.
- Ingrid, age 48, from Marietta, GA: Ingrid, a mom and actress, has always found herself playing the "funny, fat role." Although she's enjoyed a successful stage career, she knows she could feel more confident and land more roles if she weren't being held back by her weight. Ingrid also wants to be a better role model for her 17-year-old daughter. As she prepares for an upcoming leading role and her daughter's high school graduation, Ingrid is determined to look and feel her best — both on stage and off.
- Simona, age 31, from Washington, DC: In 2008, Simona was in the best shape of her life when she won a silver medal in the 2008 Beijing Paralympics (as a coxswain for the rowing team, she filled one of the few able-bodied roles at the competition). But, two children later, Simona is finding it harder and harder to find time to exercise and cook healthy, family-friendly meals. With her 10-year college reunion coming up, Simona wants to bring exercise back into her life and look like the athlete she once was.
- Angela, age 25, from Marietta, GA: Smart, funny, fashion-loving Angela found her confidence shaken when she realized she had hit her highest weight. Inspired by her mom, who lost weight when she found out she had high blood pressure, Angela began looking for an exercise regimen she could stick to and manageable ways to eat right, even when she's out with friends. As she prepares to run a 5K and serve as maid-of-honor in her cousin's wedding, Angela is getting back to her former, confident self.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts