BMC Attracts More Upside Bets
By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option activity in BMC Software (BMC) has been active for months, and the bulls came back Wednesday.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of about 5,600 June 41 calls for $2.50 to $2.70. Volume was more than 12 times open interest in the strike at the beginning of the day, so these are new positions.
The calls lock in the price that investors must pay to buy the underlying stock. They can generate significant leverage if BMC pushes higher.For instance, a gain of less than 10% for the stock will drive up the value of the calls by about 60%. The drawback is that they can also be rendered worthless by just a modest decline in the share price. BMC rose 1.54% to $43.39 Wednesday and is up more than 30% so far this year. Shares gapped higher on May 14 after the corporate-technology company announced that it had rebuffed a hostile takeover and have been holding their ground since then. Calls in the name have frequently appeared on our systems as investors wager on a rally. Overall option volume in the stock Wednesday was triple its daily average, with calls outnumbering puts by 18 to 1. Russell has no positions in BMC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV