Noninterest expense for the first quarter of 2012 increased by $13.6 million, or 9%, to $158.8 million from $145.2 million in the first quarter of 2011. The increase in noninterest expense was primarily attributable to an increase in salaries, commissions and employee benefits as well as occupancy and equipment expense. Salaries, commissions and employee benefits increased by $9.2 million, or 16%, in the first quarter of 2012 compared to the same period in 2011, due primarily to increases in staffing and higher variable commission expenses in our Mortgage Banking segment. Credit related general and administrative expenses were $22.8 million in the first quarter of 2012, which continue to be at elevated levels.
Our adjusted consolidated efficiency ratio was 75% for the first quarter of 2012 or 64% when also excluding credit-related expenses included in noninterest expense. The efficiency ratio for our Banking and Wealth Management segment was 45% for the first quarter of 2012 or 39% when excluding credit-related expenses included in noninterest expense.
Income Tax ExpenseOur effective tax rate for the first quarter of 2012 was 36.4%, compared to 42.1% for the first quarter of 2011. This decline in the effective tax rate was due to additional income tax expense during the first quarter of 2011 related to the revaluation of the net unrealized built-in losses associated with the Company’s 2010 acquisition of Tygris Commercial Finance Group, Inc. Segment Analysis
- Banking and Wealth Management adjusted pre-tax income was $65.2 million, including other credit-related expenses, foreclosure and OREO expenses of $7.8 million.
- Mortgage Banking adjusted pre-tax income was $5.3 million, including other credit-related expenses, foreclosure and OREO expenses of $15.0 million.
- Corporate Services had an adjusted pre-tax loss of $27.1 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV