Mechel OAO (MTL): Today's Featured Metals & Mining Loser
Mechel OAO (MTL) pushed the Metals & Mining industry lower today making it today's featured Metals & Mining loser. The industry as a whole closed the day up 2.5%. By the end of trading, Mechel OAO fell 25 cents (-4.2%) to $5.80 on average volume. Throughout the day, 4.4 million shares of Mechel OAO exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3.4 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $5.54-$5.83 after having opened the day at $5.71 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $6.05. Other company's within the Metals & Mining industry that declined today were: China Natural Resources (CHNR), down 8.3%, Augusta Resource Corporation (AZC), down 8.3%, Alumina (AWC), down 4.5%, and General Steel Holdings (GSI), down 4.4%. Mechel OAO, through its subsidiaries, operates as a mining and steel company in the Russian Federation and internationally. The company operates in four segments: Mining, Steel, Ferroalloys, and Power. Mechel OAO has a market cap of $2.53 billion and is part of the basic materials sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 3.9, equal to the average metals & mining industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 28.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are two analysts that rate Mechel OAO a buy, one analyst rates it a sell, and three rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Mechel OAO as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally poor debt management, feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself.
- You can view the full Mechel OAO Ratings Report.
- Use our metals & mining section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV