Dow Today: General Electric (GE) Lower
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) is trading down 121.0 points (-1%) at 12,381 as of Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 1:35 p.m. ET. During this time, 418.9 million shares of the 30 Dow components have changed hands vs. an average daily trading volume of 731.4 million. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 797 issues advancing vs. 2,161 declining with 117 unchanged. Holding back the Dow today is General Electric (NYSE:GE), which is lagging the broader Dow index with a 32-cent decline (-1.7%) bringing the stock to $18.86. This single loss is lowering the Dow Jones Industrial Average by 2.42 points or roughly accounting for 2% of the Dow's overall loss. Volume for General Electric currently sits at 34.8 million shares traded vs. an average daily trading volume of 44.7 million shares. General Electric has a market cap of $202.43 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector and industrial industry. Shares are up 7.1% year to date as of Tuesday's close. The stock's dividend yield sits at 3.6%. General Electric Company operates as a technology and financial services company worldwide. The company has a P/E ratio of 15.5, equal to the average industrial industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. TheStreet Ratings rates General Electric as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins, attractive valuation levels and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
- You can view the full General Electric Ratings Report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV