RailAmerica (RA) owns and operates short line and regional freight railroads in North America. Its principal operations consist of rail freight transportation and ancillary rail services. This stock is trading up 8.2% at $23.95 in recent trading.
Today's Volume: 419,000Average Volume: 207,149 Volume % Change: 200% Shares of RA are skyrocketing today after the company said it was pursuing strategic alternatives including a possible sale of the company. It has hired Deutsche Bank as its financial adviser. From a technical perspective, RA is gapping up strong here with above average volume. This move is quickly pushing RA within range of triggering a major breakout trade. That trade will hit once RA takes out some near-term overhead resistance at $23.90 with high volume. At last check, RA has hit an intraday high of $24.05, and volume is well above its three-month average action. Traders should look for long-biased trades as long as RA is trending above $23.90 to $24.05 with strong upside volume flows. I would consider any upside volume day that registers near or above 207,149 shares as bullish. To see more stocks rising on unusual volume, check out the Stocks Rising On Unusual Volume portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV