Updated from 4:31 p.m. EST to provide comments from the conference call.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) surged in late trades Wednesday after the PC giant reports above-consensus quarterly results and unveiled plans to cut lay off a healthy chunk of its workforce over the next few years.
The Palo Alto, Calif.-based company reported fiscal second-quarter non-GAAP earnings of 98 cents per share on $30.70 billion in revenue. The company highlighted the performance of its storage business as 3Par continued to gain market share.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 91 cents per share on $29.91 billion in revenue. Analysts polled by Estimize expected a profit of 92 cents per share on $29.54 billion in revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV