ST. LOUIS, May 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU) announced today that workers at its Wambo and Wilpinjong Mines in New South Wales have recently approved new labor agreements. Together, the new agreements cover more than two-thirds of the company's high-value thermal coal exports from Australia.
"These new agreements were approved by an average of 80 percent, indicating a clear show of support from workers at our operations in Australia," said Peabody President – Australia Eric Ford. "They follow the overwhelming approval of the new three-year North Goonyella enterprise agreement in Queensland last month, covering Peabody's highest-value hard coking coal production."
Peabody employees approved the new three-year Wambo enterprise agreement at the underground mine. Wambo employs 150 workers, producing high-quality thermal and PCI coal products. The mine's underground operations shipped 3.1 million tons in 2011.
The new four-year Wilpinjong agreement was reached with the mine's current contract operator, Thiess. Wilpinjong will be transitioning to Peabody owner-operator status beginning April 1, 2013. Wilpinjong has a workforce of approximately 350 and produces thermal coal for both domestic and export markets. The mine shipped 9.8 million tons of coal in 2011 and recently completed an expansion.Peabody Energy is the world's largest private-sector coal company and a global leader in sustainable mining and clean coal solutions. The company serves metallurgical and thermal coal customers in more than 25 countries on six continents. For further information, go to PeabodyEnergy.com and CoalCanDoThat.com. CONTACT: Vic Svec(314) 342-7768 SOURCE Peabody Energy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV