Vanguard MSCI Emerging Markets ETF
Emerging markets are starting to get attention again. 2008 was a big wake-up call for emerging market investors -- it reminded people that the increased rewards that EM investments enjoyed in 2006 and 2007 came with increased risks on the downside. But in 2012, emerging-markets growth is getting tapped again by pension funds, and they're doing it through the Vanguard MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (VWO). Pensions picked up an additional 12.4 million shares of the exchange-traded fund, hiking their holding by close to 40%.
VWO is a fund that tracks the MSCI Emerging Markets Index, a basket of a couple thousand stocks plucked from 21 different markets. The sheer size of the index makes it a good way to get exposure to emerging markets as a whole without the higher beta of individual names. VWO holds "only" 871 individual stocks at last count, far less than its index, but far more than most ETFs.For investors looking for ways to harness long-term EM growth, VWO is hard to beat. The fund has an expense ratio of 0.20%, making it the cheapest fund in its category. VWO is also one of the top holdings at Ray Dalio's Bridgewater Associates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV