May 23, 2012
/PRNewswire/ -- While millions of Americans are making preparations to hit the road as the summer travel season kicks off this weekend, identity thieves are making their own preparations to take advantage of unsuspecting travelers. Whether summer plans include family vacations, business trips, or travelling internationally for the 2012 Olympics, this summer is guaranteed to be a busy travel season, not just for consumers, but for identity thieves.
Between getting to the airport on time, packing bags for the whole family, and arranging pet care -- travelers have a lot to do before they can relax. And
is not normally top-of-mind.
(Nasdaq: INTX), a leading provider of the consumer identity theft protection service,
and corporate identity theft risk management services, wants to encourage travelers to educate themselves on the security issues and
risks they are exposed to during travel.
"We know that being on vacation often means having a different, perhaps more carefree, state of mind," says
, Executive Vice President of Consumer Services for
. "As part of our ongoing commitment to educate consumers about identity theft, we feel it's important to inform them of the steps they can take to help protect themselves from the many risks they may be exposed to during their travels. A compromised identity is the last thing anyone wants to bring home."
Top Tips for a Safe & Secure Travel Season:
- If you need to log into the web from a cyber cafe or other establishment, limit your access, avoid entering any passwords to your personal financial accounts, and be sure to log off when you are finished with your session.
- Limit the number of credit cards you carry as having too many sensitive cards can be risky. If possible, carry just one and keep a backup in the hotel safe.
- Be sure to make photocopies of the cards and documents in your wallet or purse, including credit and ATM cards and your driver's license.
- Be cautious about oversharing your vacation details online or alerting your virtual friends about your location.
- If you're leaving for an extended period of time, consider using a credit and public monitoring service that alerts you to potentially suspicious activity.
For more helpful tips on how you can help protect your identity while traveling this summer, visit our blog,
Please join us
Monday, June 25th
8:00 to 9:00 p.m. ET
to talk live with an identity theft protection expert about these tips and more. To register, please visit
or follow our hashtag, #safetrip.
Intersections Inc. (NASDAQ: INTX) is a leading provider of consumer and corporate identity risk management services. Intersections provides various levels of service to more than 9.1 million consumers. Those services are offered through
's leading financial institutions, directly to consumers under Intersections' award-winning IDENTITY GUARD(R) brand (
), and through the company's exclusive partnership with ITAC,
the Identity Theft Assistance Center
. Since 1996, Intersections has protected the identities of more than 34 million consumers.
For advice, opinions, and the latest news on identity theft for consumers, visit
SOURCE Intersections Inc.