CHANTILLY, Va., May 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- While millions of Americans are making preparations to hit the road as the summer travel season kicks off this weekend, identity thieves are making their own preparations to take advantage of unsuspecting travelers. Whether summer plans include family vacations, business trips, or travelling internationally for the 2012 Olympics, this summer is guaranteed to be a busy travel season, not just for consumers, but for identity thieves.
Between getting to the airport on time, packing bags for the whole family, and arranging pet care -- travelers have a lot to do before they can relax. And Identity protection is not normally top-of-mind. Intersections Inc. (Nasdaq: INTX), a leading provider of the consumer identity theft protection service, IDENTITY GUARD® and corporate identity theft risk management services, wants to encourage travelers to educate themselves on the security issues and identity theft risks they are exposed to during travel.
"We know that being on vacation often means having a different, perhaps more carefree, state of mind," says Steve Schwartz, Executive Vice President of Consumer Services for Intersections Inc. "As part of our ongoing commitment to educate consumers about identity theft, we feel it's important to inform them of the steps they can take to help protect themselves from the many risks they may be exposed to during their travels. A compromised identity is the last thing anyone wants to bring home."
Top Tips for a Safe & Secure Travel Season:
- If you need to log into the web from a cyber cafe or other establishment, limit your access, avoid entering any passwords to your personal financial accounts, and be sure to log off when you are finished with your session.
- Limit the number of credit cards you carry as having too many sensitive cards can be risky. If possible, carry just one and keep a backup in the hotel safe.
- Be sure to make photocopies of the cards and documents in your wallet or purse, including credit and ATM cards and your driver's license.
- Be cautious about oversharing your vacation details online or alerting your virtual friends about your location.
- If you're leaving for an extended period of time, consider using a credit and public monitoring service that alerts you to potentially suspicious activity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV