Events in Europe and in Asia overshadowed encouraging news from the U.S. housing market.
The Commerce Department said sales of new homes rose solidly last month, adding to evidence of gradual improvement in the housing market. Americans bought 3.3 percent more homes in April led by strong gains in Midwest and West.
Facebook stabilized after two tumultuous days. The stock rose 5 percent to $32.44, although that's still far below the $38 it was priced at before its initial public offering Friday.
Other stocks making big moves included:â¿¿ Dell fell 15 percent after the after the computer maker reported disappointing first-quarter results and predicted weak sales for its fiscal second quarter. Its first quarter profit fell 33 percent on lower sales to big businesses, consumers and the public sector. â¿¿ Ford Motor rose 2 percent, a day after the company won back its blue oval logo, factories and other assets that were pledged as collateral for a massive loan taken out last decade. â¿¿ Guess Inc. rose over 5 percent after its first-quarter results beat Wall Street's expectations, and an analyst recommended that investors buy the stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV