FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J., May 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (NYSE:BDX), a leading global medical technology company, announced today the publication of its 2011 Sustainability Report. The report focuses on the Company's shared-value approach to sustainability, which focuses on the relationship among strong economic performance, social responsibility and respect for the environment.
"We are pleased to report on BD's progress in achieving our sustainability goals, as well as how we are addressing the many challenges we face in the global business environment," said Vincent A. Forlenza, Chief Executive Officer and President. "We are broadening and redefining our approach to products, markets, services, productivity and even associate engagement, to drive higher shared value as well as higher shareholder value."
This year, BD's reporting aligns more closely with version 3.1 of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines, and the Company has self-assessed the new report at GRI application level B. BD's 2011 Sustainability Report highlights strategic priorities and performance in areas including:
- Governance and Ethics: BD remains committed to ethical operations and compliance with laws and regulations. In 2011, the Company updated its Code of Conduct and initiated Project Compass, the rollout of its enhanced global anti-corruption and anti-bribery program.
- Product Responsibility: BD addresses social and environmental concerns in areas including product quality, patient and healthcare worker safety, and product stewardship from development to disposal. In 2011, the Company added a sustainability assessment to its Global Product Development System, inaugurated Procurement Sustainability Summits for suppliers, and became a member of the Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Business Leadership Coalition, which is part of the Practice Greenhealth Greening the Supply Chain™ initiative.
- The Environment: BD continued to make progress toward meeting its 2015 Sustainability Targets, including reducing energy consumption 3.2% absolute and 13.2% normalized (against a goal of reducing 30% normalized by 2015) and reducing greenhouse gas emissions 21.6% absolute through a combination of energy conservation and purchase of renewable energy credits. Additionally, three BD locations received LEED Gold certification in 2011.
- Society: BD deploys its core competencies, expertise, products and associates in an effort to improve global health standards and access to health for all. The Company develops and implements collaborative, cross-sector programs with governments, international agencies, nonprofit organizations and research institutions, focusing on areas that align societal needs with BD's business strategy.
- Associates: The success of BD's business depends on the creativity, innovation and commitment of the 29,000 people it employs in more than 50 countries around the world. The report highlights BD's focus on health and safety in the workplace, providing learning and development opportunities, building a diverse workforce and creating an inclusive culture.
The new report also highlights the many awards and recognitions that BD received in 2011 in the areas of sustainability, innovation, employer of choice, and environment, health and safety, including:
- Dow Jones Sustainability World and North America Indexes
- 2011 Green Rankings Top 100 (Newsweek)
- "World's Most Ethical Companies" (Ethisphere Council)
- U.S.EPA Green Power Partnership Member – 2011 Leadership Club
- CEO Cancer Gold Standard™ Accreditation
- Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles (U.S. National Business Group on Health)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV