NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Bank M&A will see a "massive increase" in the second half of 2012, argues Tom Brown, a longtime sell-side bank analyst who has spent several years running financial services hedge fund Second Curve Capital.
Brown, who made the comments during an interview with Bloomberg TV late Tuesday, believes the bulk of the deals will occur among banks with between $1 billion-$50 billion in assets, since the roughly 30 banks with between $50 billion-$600 billion in assets will need to pass regulatory "stress tests" before they are allowed to make acquisitions, a policy Brown claims has "made it hard for large banks to continue to grow."
|Second Curve Capital CEO Tom Brown|
Brown did not specify which banks he believes will be involved in the dealmaking frenzy, though industry observers have been arguing ever since the 2008 crisis that major consolidation among small and mid-tier players is inevitable on the theory that new regulatory requirements make it difficult to make a profit and it is hard for lesser-known banks to meet higher capital standards.
Financial services-focused investment bank Keefe, Bruyette & Woods has kept a close eye on completed and expected bank deals, publishing a weekly report on the topic. The latest report, published Sunday, lists 23 institutions KBW sees as likely takeout targets, including Synovus Financial Corp. (SNV), BancorpSouth (BXS) and Astoria Financial Corp. (AF). A separate list names 14 "potential buyers who could become sellers," including BankUnited Inc. (BKU) and TCF Financial Corporation (TCB). The list of potential buyers includes more than 50 names, among the largest of which are U.S. Bancorp (USB), BB & T (BBT), and M & T Bank Corp. (MTB). -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV