El Paso Corporation (EP) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1.5%. By the end of trading, El Paso Corporation rose 45 cents (1.6%) to $29.55 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 18 million shares of El Paso Corporation exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 9.3 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $29-$29.82 after having opened the day at $29 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $29.10. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: L & L Energy (LLEN), up 16%, Pacific Ethanol (PEIX), up 11.9%, United States Antimony Corporation (UAMY), up 11.8%, and China Gerui Advanced Materials Group (CHOP), up 11.2%. El Paso Corporation operates in the natural gas transmission, and exploration and production sectors of the energy industry primarily in the United States. El Paso Corporation has a market cap of $22.15 billion and is part of the energy industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 136.2, equal to the average energy industry P/E ratio and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 7.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there is one analyst that rates El Paso Corporation a buy, one analyst rates it a sell, and six rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates El Paso Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, increase in net income, expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
- You can view the full El Paso Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV