Liberty Media Corporation (Nasdaq: LMCA, LMCB) is now accepting submissions for the annual "Media for Liberty Award". This award recognizes media contributions that explore the link between economic and political liberty. Eligible works must be originally published or broadcast via print or electronic media during the 2012 calendar year, and received by Liberty Media no later than January 7, 2013. There is a $50,000 prize for the winning entry.
The 2013 Media for Liberty Award is open to journalists worldwide whose original works bring new insights on societal issues, news events, economies, political structures and cultures that illustrate prosperity or struggle in pursuit of a free market environment and civil liberties uninfluenced by government agenda.
Submitted works will be reviewed by a jury panel and evaluated based on the degree to which the theme is addressed, inspirational and educational value, relevance to the public discourse, and mastery of media format.
Past recipients of the Award include:A Darkness Visible: Afghanistan (MediaStorm ) – a film examining thirty years of Afghan history through the story of ordinary citizens whose lives play out in the shadow of superpowers. “How a New Jobless Era will Transform America” ( The Atlantic) – an essay exploring the likely and lasting effects of the recent Great Depression on American society, culture and politics. "Congo Gold” (CBS “60 Minutes”) – a segment chronicling the war-torn region of eastern Congo to investigate the connection between the mining of gold and other precious minerals. Eligibility Requirements Eligible media outlets, including newspapers, magazines, journals, radio, television and websites, must be generally recognized in their markets and accessible to a broad audience in the United States.
- Length: Print entries may not exceed 20,000 words. Electronic entries may not exceed 120 minutes.
- Language: All entries must be in English, or submitted with an English translation or with English subtitles.
- Examples: Eligible entries may include, but are not limited to, news reporting, feature coverage, investigative reporting, articles, essays, editorials, commentaries and documentaries.
- Programs produced and intended for general theatrical motion picture release are not eligible.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts