Coca-Cola, a beverage company, engages in the manufacture, marketing and sale of nonalcoholic beverages worldwide. The company was founded in 1886 and is headquartered in Atlanta, Ga.Yield: 2.75%
Dividend Amount: 51 cents
Ex-Dividend Date: June 13, 2012
Beta: 0.52 Strategy: Buy Coca-Cola stock and offer to sell the June $72.50 strike or lower call for 51 cents over the intrinsic value. In almost all cases, I sell the call option first to ensure the stock option leg is complete. If not, after qualifying for the dividend, I will attempt to close out the trade with a gain of near 21 cents, plus the dividend earned. It is important to sell the call option hedge at or near the asking price for at least the minimum amount over intrinsic value. I don't want the option hedge unless the sale will provide at least the minimum 51 cents over intrinsic value. If my shares are called away before trading ex-dividend (resulting from the option buyer wanting the dividend), I gain about 51 cents. The most I can make is $1.02 if I hold the covered call through option expiration day and the stock gets called away. My last step (completed before making a trade on the same day) is to check company announcements and news sources for possible price moving events. This is especially critical during earnings season.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV