The Disappointing Facebook IPO's Impact on Retail Investors
Melissa Lee inquired how the IPO will impact retail investors.
Retail fund flows continue to be moving toward the safe haven of bonds and away from stocks. In the latest period ending Wednesday, $10 billion was redeemed from domestic equity funds, and $12 billion flowed into bonds. This continues a steady, multiyear outflow out of stock funds that commenced way back in 2007.
The timing couldn't be worse as it relates to the retail investor.At best, my expectation that the reallocation rally (selling bonds and buying stocks) will immediately commence in the summer months ahead must be scuttled. At worst, the Facebook IPO (and the recent market swoon) will add more strikes to the hearts of individual investors, keeping them away from stocks over the balance of the year. (Retail investors have already endured two large drawdowns in stocks since 2000, a lost decade of investment performance, a flash crash, stagnating incomes while the necessities of life increase in cost.) Josh Brown, who deals with scores of individual investors in his capacity as a money manager, underscored my view that the Facebook IPO was another blow to the individual investor community.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV