NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wall Street finished on a mixed note Tuesday as concerns about Greece's potential exit from the eurozone resurfaced in the final hour of trading.
Stocks had been higher for most of the day, getting a lift from fresh data providing more evidence of an improving U.S. housing market and a lull in the negative headlines from Europe.
Late in the day though, former Greek Prime Minister Lucas Papademos was quoted as saying the country was considering preparations for a potential exit from the single-currency bloc.
European leaders are set to meet Wednesday to discuss ways to soften austerity measures that are causing political turmoil in Greece and other weaker European nations. They will also discuss other controversial policies including the creation of eurozone bonds, which has been stiffly resisted by Germany.The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished just below the flat line, down 1.5 points to close at 12,503. Earlier in the session, the blue-chip index traded as high as 12,576. The S&P 500 inched up less than a point, or 0.15%, to finish at 1316. The Nasdaq slid more than 8 points, or 0.3%, to settle at 2839.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV