Mentor Graphics Corp. (NASDAQ:MENT) and Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation ("SMIC") (NYSE:SMI) (SEHK:0981) today announced that SMIC is using the Calibre® PERC circuit reliability verification solution as part of its latest electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection design methodology. SMIC’s approach helps ensure whole chip ESD protection for its customers’ large, complex SoCs, including all I/Os, embedded IP blocks from SMIC or third-party sources, and eFuse embedded memory. SMIC adopted the Calibre PERC solution because it provides the unique ability to automatically combine schematic (netlist) and physical layout criteria and measurements to perform advanced reliability checks that until now were primarily done manually.
“New applications and use models create more difficult ESD protection challenges for designers due to increasing breakdown voltage variability, and a greater number of vulnerable circuit nodes at the interfaces between voltage domains in low power designs,” said Tianshen Tang, vice president of design service at SMIC. “We offer a multi-pronged approach that includes robust ESD protection in our IP libraries, running circuit checks for our customers using Calibre PERC with SMIC rule decks, and consulting services to assist customers with their specific ESD performance and reliability needs. We will also issue Calibre PERC design kits for our customers by mid-year so they can define and run their own checks.”
SMIC uses the Calibre PERC platform’s Logic-Driven-Layout analysis capability to ensure that all designs, including SMIC IP libraries and customer designs, conform to SMIC’s enhanced ESD design rules. Some of the key ESD protection techniques include:
- Integrated ESD protection with a common ESD ground bus for the entire I/O ring to ensure safe discharge
- Cross-voltage domain and analog-digital interface protection
- Fast trigger protection devices for enhanced design margin
- Low leakage protection circuits and high latch-up immunity
- Local ESD protection for IP cores and eFuse memories
The Calibre PERC product not only detects violations, but provides designers with a holistic environment for debugging circuit reliability problems with an integrated view of circuit connectivity, topology, physical layout and design rules that is not available in any other tool.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV