NEW YORK (Stockpickr) -- After moving steadily higher throughout the first quarter, the markets were roughly flat in April and have been sliding in May. Could they be gearing up for their next upward move? After all, earnings have been quite robust, and corporate profits continue to trend nicely higher.
If we do get further gains, then it could pay to follow a strategy that paid off handsomely in the first quarter: focusing on risky and often heavily shorted stocks. As investors started to focus on riskier stocks, short-sellers got spooked and scrambled to cover their bearish bets. By doing so, they unwittingly added buying pressure to these stocks.
Assuming that scenario plays out again, let's look at the current crop of heavily-shorted stocks, identifying five that may be subject to a major short squeeze.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV