NEW YORK (Stockpickr) -- After moving steadily higher throughout the first quarter, the markets were roughly flat in April and have been sliding in May. Could they be gearing up for their next upward move? After all, earnings have been quite robust, and corporate profits continue to trend nicely higher.
If we do get further gains, then it could pay to follow a strategy that paid off handsomely in the first quarter: focusing on risky and often heavily shorted stocks. As investors started to focus on riskier stocks, short-sellers got spooked and scrambled to cover their bearish bets. By doing so, they unwittingly added buying pressure to these stocks.
Assuming that scenario plays out again, let's look at the current crop of heavily-shorted stocks, identifying five that may be subject to a major short squeeze.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV