NEW YORK (Stockpickr) -- It doesn't take a lot of vision to predict that the medical device industry will see a lot of acquisitions in 2012. After all, it happens every year.
The industry's biggest players, such as Medtronic (MDT), Boston Scientific (BSX) and Roche Holdings, struggle to find ways to organically boost revenue. So they do the next best thing: Buy their way into growth. These deal-makers typically seek to bring in more products for their sales forces to pitch to customers, or they look to expand their technological knowhow by incorporating other firm's products and R&D efforts into their own.
Case in point: Roche Holdings recent efforts to acquire Illumina (ILMN). Roche wants to quickly establish a strong presence in the field of DNA analysis, and Illumina, the industry leader, provides just such an entry into the space.Here are five other medical device firms that could hold great appeal for the industry's larger players.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV