Alleghany Corp DEL (Y): Today's Featured Insurance Loser
Alleghany Corp DEL (Y) pushed the Insurance industry lower today making it today's featured Insurance loser. The industry as a whole closed the day up 1.2%. By the end of trading, Alleghany Corp DEL fell $2.35 (-0.7%) to $324.65 on light volume. Throughout the day, 70,673 shares of Alleghany Corp DEL exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 119,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $323.12-$327.36 after having opened the day at $326.77 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $327. Other company's within the Insurance industry that declined today were: Affirmative Insurance Holdings (AFFM), down 10.8%, Life Partners Holdings (LPHI), down 3.6%, Flagstone Reinsurance Holdings (FSR), down 1.9%, and eHealth (EHTH), down 1.8%. Alleghany Corporation, through its subsidiaries, engages in the property and casualty, and surety insurance business in the United States. Alleghany Corp DEL has a market cap of $5.54 billion and is part of the financial sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 5.5, equal to the average insurance industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 14.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are no analysts that rate Alleghany Corp DEL a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and two rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Alleghany Corp DEL as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
- You can view the full Alleghany Corp DEL Ratings Report.
- Use our insurance section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV