American International Group (AIG) pushed the Insurance industry higher today making it today's featured insurance winner. The industry as a whole closed the day up 1.2%. By the end of trading, American International Group rose $1.11 (3.9%) to $29.44 on light volume. Throughout the day, 12.9 million shares of American International Group exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 17.7 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $28.33-$29.66 after having opened the day at $28.70 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $28.33. Other companies within the Insurance industry that increased today were: Radian Group (RDN), up 18.3%, American Independence Corporation (AMIC), up 9.4%, MGIC Investment Corporation (MTG), up 6.3%, and AEGON (AED), up 5.6%. American International Group, Inc. engages in the provision of insurance products and services for the commercial, institutional, and individual customers in the United States and internationally. The company operates in three segments: Chartis, SunAmerica Financial Group, and Aircraft Leasing. American International Group has a market cap of $51.08 billion and is part of the financial sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 2.4, equal to the average insurance industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 22.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are seven analysts that rate American International Group a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and nine rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates American International Group as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, revenue growth and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, poor profit margins and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share.
- You can view the full American International Group Ratings Report.
- Use our insurance section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about AIG
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV