DALLAS, May 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Television Company Belo Corp. (NYSE: BLC) announced today that KING-TV, its NBC station in Seattle/ Tacoma, was honored with a 2011 George Foster Peabody Award for excellence in broadcast journalism at a luncheon held today. KING won the Peabody for its KING 5 Investigators "Their Crime, Your Dime" series which exposed food stamp and welfare scams in the state of Washington and led to immediate changes at the Department of Social and Health Services.
Among those honored at today's ceremony were KING 5's investigative reporter Chris Ingalls, photojournalist Steve Douglas, executive producer Kellie Cheadle and executive news director Mark Ginther.
Since 2000, Belo television stations have received 13 Peabody Awards, more than any other station group. The annual Peabody Awards are presented by the University of Georgia's Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication.
"Investigative journalism remains an important and vital service we provide to our local markets," said Dunia A. Shive, Belo's president and Chief Executive Officer. "We are proud of this outstanding recognition for the KING 5 investigative team and the positive impact stories like this have on the communities we serve."About Belo Corp. Television company Belo Corp. (NYSE: BLC) owns and operates 20 television stations (nine in the top 25 markets) and their associated websites. Belo stations, which include affiliations with ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and the CW, reach more than 14 percent of U.S. television households in 15 highly-attractive markets. Belo stations rank first or second in nearly all of their local markets. Additional information is available at www.belo.com or by contacting Paul Fry, vice president/Investor Relations & Treasury Operations, at 214-977-4465. SOURCE Belo Corp.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV