May 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Financial advisors are increasingly turning to closed-end funds to develop client investment solutions, according to the second annual survey of financial advisors conducted on behalf of Aberdeen Asset Management Inc., part of Aberdeen Group, the world's largest manager of emerging market
closed-end funds as determined by both value and number. The survey was conducted online from
March 29 to April 20, 2012 by Harris Interactive and surveyed 508 financial advisors through an intermediary panel of finance professionals managed by Harris.
Advisors surveyed cite that closed-end funds are suitable for many types of accounts, particularly for post-retiree income-generating purposes and individual retirement accounts. Advisors state that income is the primary reason for including closed-end funds in their recommendations citing ease of use, ability to use leverage and access to active, professional investment management. For additional details on the survey results,
Continued need for more closed-end fund information
"This year's study reconfirmed that advisors continue to clamor for more information to help their clients understand the benefits of closed-end funds," said
Gary Marshall, Chief Executive Officer of Aberdeen Asset Management Inc.
"As the world's largest manager of emerging market closed-end funds, we are delighted that their portfolio construction and investment management advantages are increasingly recognized by U.S. financial advisors."
Significant results of the advisor survey include:
Leader in Emerging Market Closed-End Funds
- 63% of advisors recommend closed-end funds, up from 52% in 2011
- 50% of advisors cite that their clients implement their closed-end fund recommendations, up from 45% in 2011
- 62% of advisors state that additional research coverage on closed-end funds would improve their recommendations
- 45% of advisors state that increased client awareness and understanding of closed-end funds would improve their recommendations
- 64% of advisors recommend closed-end funds to clients between the age of 45-65; 52% of advisors recommend closed-end funds to clients under 45
Aberdeen directly manages eleven U.S. exchange-listed closed-end funds and one Canadian investment company:
- Aberdeen Asia-Pacific Income Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: FAX)
- Aberdeen Asia-Pacific Income Investment Company Limited (TSX: FAP)
- Aberdeen Australia Equity Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: IAF)
- Aberdeen Chile Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: CH )*
- Aberdeen Emerging Markets Telecommunications and Infrastructure Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: ETF )
- Aberdeen Global Income Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: FCO)*
- Aberdeen Indonesia Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: IF )
- Aberdeen Israel Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: ISL )
- Aberdeen Latin America Equity Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: LAQ)
- The Asia Tigers Fund, Inc. (NYSE: GRR)
- The India Fund, Inc. (NYSE: IFN)
- The Singapore Fund, Inc. (NYSE: SGF)
In addition, Aberdeen serves as investment sub-advisor to two other U.S. exchange-listed closed-end funds managed by First Trust:
Additional information about the Funds is available by contacting the Funds at 800.522.5465 or by visiting the Funds' web site at
About Aberdeen Asset Management
Aberdeen Asset Management PLC, the parent company of Aberdeen Asset Management Inc., is an independently-run asset manager listed on the London Stock Exchange since 1991, and operating from 31 offices in 23 countries (the "Aberdeen Group"). The Aberdeen Group invests on behalf of institutional and private clients, primarily in equities, fixed income, alternative investment strategies and property. The Aberdeen Group manages more than
of assets for both institutions and private individuals as of
December 31, 2011
the United States
, Aberdeen Asset Management (AAM) is the marketing name for the following affiliated, registered investment advisers: Aberdeen Asset Management Inc., Aberdeen Asset Managers Ltd, Aberdeen Asset Management Ltd and Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Ltd, each of which is wholly owned by Aberdeen Asset Management PLC. "Aberdeen" is a U.S. registered service mark of Aberdeen Asset Management PLC.
About Harris Interactive
Harris Interactive is one of the world's leading custom market research firms, leveraging research, technology and business acumen to transform relevant insight into actionable foresight. Known widely for the Harris Poll and for pioneering innovative research methodologies, Harris offers expertise in a wide range of industries, including health care, technology, public affairs, energy, telecommunications, financial services, insurance, media, retail, restaurant and consumer package goods. Serving clients in more than 215 countries and territories through its North American, European and Asian offices and a network of independent market research firms, Harris specializes in delivering research solutions that help clients stay ahead of what's next. For more information, visit
Investors should consider a fund's investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses carefully before investing. A copy of the prospectus for
Aberdeen Chile Fund, Inc.
Aberdeen Global Income Fund, Inc
. that contains this and other information about the funds may be obtained by calling 866-839-5205. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing. Investing in funds involves risk, including possible loss of principal.
Closed-end funds have a one-time initial public offering and then are subsequently traded on the secondary market through one of the stock exchanges. The investment return and principal value will fluctuate so that an investor's shares may be worth more or less than the original cost. Shares of closed-end funds may trade above (a premium) or below (a discount) the net asset value (NAV) of the fund's portfolio. There is no assurance that a fund will achieve its investment objective. Past performance does not guarantee future results.