HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Ky. (AP) â¿¿ General Cable will spend $185 million in cash to acquire Alcan Cable, the wire and cable business of mining company Rio Tinto PLC.
Based on current metal prices, General Cable said it expects the addition of Alcan to boost its annual revenue by between $650 million and $700 million and increase value for shareholders in the near term. The company's shares rose more than 7 percent in midday trading.
Alcan produces aluminum cable for the utility and building industries. The company employs about 1,050 people and serves markets in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and China, General Cable said.
Gregory Lampert, General Cable's president and chief executive for North America, said that the addition of Alcan's aluminum construction cable products will further expand the variety of products his company can offer distributors serving electrical and industrial contractors.General Cable, based in Highland Heights, Ky., said it plans to use existing financing to fund the deal, which is expected to close in the second half of 2012. Shares of General Cable Corp. rose $1.96 to $29.02 in midday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV