BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Last week wasn't exactly a good week to be a stock investor. The S&P 500 shed 4.3% between Monday's open and Friday's close, erasing all but 3% of the gains that Mr. Market had earned year-to-date. But if the week was bad, this month has been worse.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average, for instance, has lost ground in 12 of the last 13 trading sessions. That's the worst 13-session losing streak for the index since back in 1974. But with this morning's price action looking decidedly bullish, chances are the big indices are going to be earning back some of those lost points in today's session after being oversold for so long. That should provide an opportunity for buyers in the broad market right now.
To take full advantage of that turn in momentum, we're looking to a new set of Rocket Stock names for Monday.For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 151 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 82.72%. With that, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV